Monday, December 19, 2005

Winter Pays for Summer

OK, first things first, I LOVED New York City. Just the sheer amount of people watching made it infinitely interesting to me at all times. If I didn't have a life and a career and family here in San Diego I would pack up and move now. Right now.

So here's a blow by blow ( not literally) of my trip for interested parties.

First night-- Jetblue has some decent service and the TV thing almost makes the flight worth it. By the time Steve! and I ride the subway into the city it is 10:10. We stop a DaNico's for dinner which is just off Spring Street in Little Italy. They have stopped serving food, but the sweet italian guy keeps the kitchen open for 20 more minutes and feeds us. One bottle of wine, 5 cheese and pasta concoction, ( holy shit why don't they sell stuff like that at olive garden?) and dessert later and clearly it was time to head out to a neighborhood bar. So Steve! and I went to the Spring Street Bar where I think I met a cousin. His name was Dan McLaughlin and his family was from Syracuse. My grandfather's brothers all live in upstate New York. There were also 4 people who grew up in SD sitting at the bar becasue that is how small the world is. Steve! and I spent lots of time drinking a local beer ( Brooklyn Lager) and catching up. We caught the 2:30 ferry to Staten Island and I have no real memory of the ride except that is where Steve! taught me the meaning of "off like a prom dress." Ha! I crack up just writing that.

Day two. This is where I need to mention just how freaking cold it was while I was there. Day 2 was aproximately 16 degrees out, but then there was the wind. The wind made it really, like, NEGATIVE 3 DEGREES!!!!!
Anyway, we decided to head to Times Square and get in line for half price theater tickets. We had to stand in the shade where it was only slightly colder than the moon. The only thing they were selling tickets to that we had any interest in was Chicago staring Huey Lewis. Can I just say that Chicago was great but Huey Lewis doesn't have what it takes to be Billy Flynn. He really doesn't. He's just so, schlumpy. But the girls playing Roxie and Velma were absolutely amazing. So after buying tickets we walk in Friday's in Times Square to defrost and have some lunch. Which is where I got the shock of my life. I wanted soup and salad. The cost on the menu? wait for it...
$16.99

So we bailed.

We cruised up to Rockefeller Center. It was cold and pretty. We saw the Sak's windows which were super cool. They had these modern snowmen dressed in tuxedos that looked kind of sinister. The tree and decorations were nice and we decided not to ice skate. We had some coffee and waiting for our show to start.

After Chicago we tried to find a decent place to eat that wasn't stupid expensive. We ended up in a bar called Kevin St. James in midtown. I do not like midtown. We decided we would skip midtown for the rest of the trip.

Day Three: We woke up late and headed into the city for a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. All I cared about seeing was the Egypt exhibit. I took an Egyptian History class way back in college and had been told this was the best collection outside of Cairo. It was still freezing but I enjoyed the trip uptown. The Met is on the East side of Central Park. Several of the rooms open to huge glass expanses that look over the park which was cool. The Egypt exhibit was excellent. There was so much cool stuff. My flickr page has the photoset. We also checked out the Frank Lloyd Wright Exhibit, the musical instrument exhibit and the armor rooms, which were stellar. We spent about 4-5 hours there and barely scratched the surface. I would have to say it might have even been better than the Smithsonian. I'm not sure. That night we decided to drink beer and eat chinese food and watch pay per view. It was very cold on the ferry home and I was glad we were not outside at all.

Day four: Again with the waking up late. Then we went down to Canal Street so I could buy contraband and cheap tchochkes. I bought a very fake Prada purse that I will use with pride. I also got a cool purse with a dragonfly pattern that Steve! thought was hideous but I liked for summer. It was weird being on Canal Street. There were all these shady people going:
"psst! want a rolex?" and then holding open their jackets etc. Lots of people were selling bootleg movies recorded in the movie theater illegally. I totally bought King Kong and Narnia. Picked up some souveniers and went for Cuban food. The retuarant was in NoHo ( which stand for North of Houston, for those of you who don't know.) ((Houston is pronounced HOUSE-ton. Not like the city in Texas.)) Anyway the Cuban restuarant was toally charming, the waiter danced and sang along to all the music like he just couldn't help himself. The food was excellent-- well except for Steve's! oxtail. (What the hell did you expect when you ordered something with the word tail in it?) We drank a whole pitcher of Sangria and I told the waiter that there was no cuban retuarant in San Diego and so he should keep that in mind, for a business opportunity. Is there a cuban restuarant in SD?
Then is was the all important time for us to go and watch Soccer at a Football bar in the East Village. The bar was named Nevada Smiths after some Steve McQueen movie. There were lots of people with accents to listen to which I found charming and they served good beer on tap. And then the Scots entered the picture. meet Colin and Jules, two lovely people from Edinburgh who work in publishing. Jules was very drunk by 7pm on white wine and Colin was unwillingly babysitting her, flirting with me, and arguing about football. So Jules decided to flirt with Steve! much kissing ensued. I was very very amused. Seteve! you are a stud. The evening ended in dancing and karaokee and a cab trip in the freezing sleet coming down where we just managed to make the 1:30 ferry home. Steve! was pretty sleepy in teh cab and very hung over the next day. I feel my greatest accomplishment that night was not getting as drunk as Steve! and keeping Jules from kissing me, or Colin kissing me for that matter.

The resultant hangover Steve! had the next day meant we stayed in and ordered pizza and watched our bootleg version of Narnia. It was very dark, in fact over half the movie was a black screen with just audio. King Kong turned out much better. The pizza was made with fresh dough, and homemade fresh mozzarella, and pepperoni that appeared to have been created straight from heaven. It was good and I will never eat San Diego pizza again.

After the movie I packed and hopped the ferry for my journey to the airport which I made on the subway all by myself without getting lost or getting on the wrong train.

And that was my week last week. I think I'll go back in spring.

M.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home